This Red Cross Wilderness and Remote First Aid course is based on the BSA Wilderness First Aid Curriculum and Doctrine Guidelines with enhanced content to meet Occupational Safety & Health Administration’s best practices for Workplace First Aid Programs. The course conforms to the American Red Cross requirements. Certification is valid for two years.
Course objectives are to cover: identification of delayed help emergency situations; identify causes and prevention of injuries in wilderness areas; learn proper preparation for journeys into the back country; learn emergency actions steps for first aid response when EMS is not readily available; basic and some more advanced first aid techniques; learn how to respond to an emotionally upset victim; learn short distance transfer and evacuation techniques; and, experience providing wilderness first aid through the means of scenarios and simulated rescues that test knowledge and skills.
- January 25 and 26th (participation in both days of course is required)
- 8:00 am – 5:00pm, both days
- Course to be conducted in South San Clemente (details will be sent to those who register/pay)
- Participants must be 14 years of age and have current CPR certification from either American Red Cross or American Heart Association (details below for a CPR course scheduled prior to this January WRFA course).
- Class size is limited and pre-registration is required!
- $85 for registered Scouts and Scouters. The fee covers American Red Cross participant fees, the cost of materials , books, supplies, lunch and snacks both days.
- Instructor Jeffrey Johnson will also provide additional first aid materials and supplies that support the required WRFA material.
- Email Jeffrey B. Johnson: firstname.lastname@example.org before January 25th.
NOTE: For those who won’t hold current CPR certification at the time of the class, Jeffrey is holding a class for CPR/AED/SFA on January 11, 2014. American Red Cross (ARC) Certification in Cardio-Pulmonary Rescuscitation (CPR) ; Automatic External Defibrillator (AED); and Standard First Aid (SFA) covering both the pediatric (infant/child) and adult. If you can make it and are interested… email Jeffrey Johnson ASAP with your name and phone number. Tentative plan is from about 8:30 AM to 5 PM in San Clemente. Cost is $50 without book for registered Scouts/Scouters (hard copy book is $10 more) (for non- scouts/scouters ARC participant fees are $20 more). If you are planning to take Wilderness & Remote First Aid, CPR certification is required as a prerequisite. If you can’t make this class, ARC offers multiple classes almost every day of the week. Although this class is for certification in Pediatric/ Adult CPR/AED and First Aid, the only certification required to take ARC Wilderness & Remote First Aid is Adult CPR if you are doing it by another source.