- You must be knowledgeable in the subject area of a specific Merit Badge, either by vocation, avocation or special training.
- Complete Youth Protection Training On-Line and send a copy of the training card, along with your Merit Bagde Application. Youth Protection Training (YPT) may be taken by logging into MyScouting to take this course online.
- Fill out the Orange County Council Merit Badge Counselor Application – a writable PDF form. Rev: 05/23/2012.
- Fill out the BSA Adult Registration form. Use 42 for position code.
- Fill out the BSA Disclosure/Authorization form (included with the BSA Adult Registration form).
Note: The Disclosure/Authorization form need only be submitted once for your initial Merit Badge Counselor registration.
- Send the 4 documents to either your District Advancement Chairperson, or Merit Badge Counselor Coordinator.
Email Your District “Merit Badge Counselor Coordinator”
|District||Merit Badge Counselor List Coordinator|
|El Camino Real||Joyce Easton|
|El Capitan||Kathy Kellehar|
|Los Amigos||Brent Meredith|
|Orange Frontier||Sandy Sova|
|Del Mar||Kimberly Stuart|
|Rancho San Joaquin||Mike Bergler|
- The Orange County Council will have a background investigation conducted, which will take up to 6 weeks; whereupon, your District Advancement Chairperson will be advised if there was an issue with the background investigation. You may assume if you have not been contacted within 6 weeks, you are “Good-to-Go!”
- Your name and Merit Badge(s) will then be added to your District’s Merit Badge list. The list is “PRIVATE”and shall not be reproduced beyond the District Advancement Chairperson/Merit Badge staff and the unit Scoutmaster and Troop Advancement Chairperson.
- During the 6 weeks it takes for the background check, get yourself trained.
Contact your District Training Chairperson and ask for a Merit Badge Counselor Training session as a breakout at the next Roundtable.
- After you have completed all of the above steps, make sure your name and the names of the Merit Badge(s) you will counsel appears on your District’s Merit Badge Counselor lists – contact your District Merit Badge Coordinator, or Scoutmaster or unit Committee Chair.
- BSA Adult Leader Application (No unit leader signatures are needed.
- Background Investigation form (included only omce with the new BSA Adult Registration Application).
- OCCBSA Merit Badge Counselor Application also known as the Merit Badge Counselors Information.
- On the BSA Adult Leader Application under Position Code, use “42″ for Merit Badge Counselor. Complete all of the leader application and Merit Badge Counselor Application.
Yearly Reregistration Required
The National Council policy for Merit Badge Counselors is that unless a person specifically registers as a Merit Badge Counselor annually they are to be removed from the list of active Counselors. This is because over the past years, National has received up to 1,000 letters per month from the surviving spouses of Merit Badge Counselor’s that they are still being called by Scouts.
The renewal procedure for merit badge counselors is [Need OCC Advancement Committee Policy if different-TBS].
Are you on the current list? Check your District’s Merit Badge Counselor List to find out.
District Advancement Chairs
What this means: if you are not on the Merit Badge Counselor’s list, then you most likely need to submit a new registration form as a Merit Badge Counselor if you haven’t for the current year. Annually you will be contacted by a Merit Badge Coordinator in your Unit to confirm whether you are interested in continuing for the upcoming year and the opportunity to make any changes. There is no cost for this. If you do not have any changes, you will need only fill out the BSA Adult Application with position code of 42. If you have any changes in your Merit Badges list, then the Merit Badge Counselor Application will also need to be filled out listing all Merit Badges for which you wish to provide Counseling services.
All forms must be forwarded to your District Advancement Chair for review and processing.