February 1, 2021
To Our Scouting Family and Friends,
Last week the California Department of Public Health ended the Regional Stay Home Order across California. This action came as projected ICU availability rose above 15%. Orange County was returned to the Purple, or Widespread Tier, in the Blueprint for a Safer Economy. This has prompted renewed questions from our units.
First and foremost, we need to consider the safety of our Scouts, Leaders, Staff, and their families. The activity plan for your unit should involve discussions with the Scouts, parents, leaders, and your chartered organization. We continue to live in a hybrid world of online and in-person activities. Guidance on how to return your unit to in-person Scouting Activities can be found in the Unit Restart Guidebook and the Covid Guidelines for Scouting Matrix.
Based on the success of Cohort Tent Camping (small group) during the summer and fall at non BSA properties and the suspension of the Regional Stay Home Order, which had closed camping statewide, we are again allowing units to camp overnight in Cohorts (small groups). At properties other than those of OCBSA, units must follow the guidance in the Unit Restart Guidebook, of their chartered organization, and the property owner.
Cohort Tent Camping will also expand to some of our OCBSA properties, listed below. Details, including how to make a reservation, will be released in the Outdoor Adventure newsletter on 2/9/2021. Further levels of camping including overnight camporees, camporalls, cabin camping, and resident camp remain closed pending guidance from the health departments.
- Irvine Ranch Outdoor Education Center reservations open 02/10, camping begins 02/19
- Oso Lake Scout Camp reservations open 02/17, camping begins 02/26
While carpooling outside of a household remains discouraged, it is allowed if all participants are in the same Cohort for the event, wear masks at all times, and passengers sit as far apart as possible. Surfaces should also be sanitized both before and after the trip.
As vaccine distribution continues to ramp up, we ask all of our members and their families to use extreme caution and to follow all guidance from our state and local health departments. We encourage you to utilize the five simple things to prevent the spread of COVID-19:
- Wear a mask consistently and correctly
- Avoid crowds
- Stay six feet apart
- Opt for the outdoors
- Wash your hands
Thank you again for your partnership, flexibility and patience as we navigate this challenging and unprecedented chapter in our council’s history together. As we have since the onset of COVID-19, we will continue to closely monitor this situation and follow guidelines from expert health agencies, while keeping our Scouting community informed.
Please continue to visit ocbsa.org/covid19 for COVID-19 updates, information and resources.
- COVID-19 Update # 17 | 12.7.2020
- COVID-19 Update # 16 | 12.4.2020
- COVID-19 Update # 15 | 10.26.2020
- COVID-19 Update # 14 | 8.31.2020
- COVID-19 Update # 13 | 8.17.2020
- COVID-19 Update # 12 | 7.31.2020
- COVID-19 Update # 11 | 7.16.2020
- COVID-19 Alert | 7.13.2020
- COVID-19 Alert | 7.10.2020
- COVID-19 Update # 10 | 7.2.2020
- COVID-19 Update # 9 | 6.16.2020
- COVID-19 Update # 8 | 6.1.2020
- COVID-19 Update # 7 | 5.15.2020
- COVID-19 Update # 6 | 4.29.2020
- COVID-19 Update # 5 | 4.5.2020
- COVID-19 Update # 4 | 3.18.2020
- COVID-19 Update # 3 | 3.13.2020
- COVID-19 Update # 2 | 3.12.2020
- COVID-19 Update # 1 | 3.11.2020