Be a part of Day of Service on Saturday, November 6th, 2021!
The goal of Day of Service is to maximize Scouting’s service to Orange County by consolidating a variety of service projects, chosen by our Scouts and Scout leaders. Put simply, we are asking for you to set aside the first Saturday of November for you and your scouts to make a difference in your neighborhood or community.
Registration is coming soon!
Upcoming Service Events
Unique virtual opportunities that allow volunteers to use and or gain skills that can be applied for Giving Back and Making a Difference throughout the US and in some cases beyond.
Help Line / Mental Health
- Crisis Text Line You will be trained as a volunteer Crisis Counselor to help provide 24/7 support for those in crisis anywhere in the US. Greatest needs are in the evenings. 4 hour per week commitment is required. Click here to learn more and sign up to volunteer.
- Family Eldercare Help facilitate telephone activities and class offerings for older adults living at home. Volunteer commitments range from weekly to once a month. Click here to learn more and sign up to volunteer.
- Golden TALK 24hr Senior Chat line. Volunteers are needed to take calls on their own Smartphone as part of a senior chat line called GoldenTALK where seniors most of whom are now self-isolated, can call to simply chat and also can obtain resources if needed. All languages needed, with urgent need for Spanish, Korean and Mandarin. Click here to learn more and sign up to volunteer.
Language and Writing Support:
- By the People Make documents more searchable by transcribing, reviewing and tagging digitized images of manuscripts and typed materials from the Library of Congress, the nation’s oldest federal cultural institution which serves as the research arm of Congress. Click here to learn more and sign up to volunteer.
- LibriVox Record audio versions of public domain books. Click here to learn more and sign up to volunteer.
- Smithsonian Institution Become a Digital Volunteer and help make historical documents and biodiversity data more accessible, as you transcribe field notes, diaries, ledgers, logbooks, currency proof sheets, photo albums, manuscripts, biodiversity specimens. Click here to learn more and sign up to volunteer.
- TED Translators Subtitle TED Talks to help disseminate knowledge, research and big ideas across languages and borders. Click here to learn more and sign up to volunteer.
- Translators without Borders Seeking volunteer who are fluent in one or more languages other than their native language, to assist in translating various projects from medical texts to crisis response. Professional translators are especially encouraged to apply. Click here to learn more and sign up to volunteer.
Listening, Reading and Mentoring:
- Be My Eyes is a free app that connects blind and low-vision people with sighted volunteers for visual assistance in helping to navigate or solve everyday tasks through a live video call. My Eyes users can request assistance in over 180 languages. Click here to learn more and sign up to volunteer.
- BookShare provides opportunities for volunteers to scan and edit books and to describe images for people with dyslexia, blindness, cerebral palsy and other reading barriers. Click here to learn more and sign up to volunteer.
- CareerVillage Provide personized career information and advice, as you respond to submitted questions from students that match your experience and skill set. Responses are posted and made available for students to access and reference anytime. Click here to learn more and sign up to volunteer.
Tutoring / Knowledge Sharing
- UPchieve is a free, online 24/7 platform that connects low-income high school students in the US with live, volunteer coaches who provide either math tutoring (Algebra through Calculus) and basic college advice, to help them improve their grades and academic motivation. No formal tutoring experience needed, training will be provided. Click here to learn more and sign up to volunteer.
- techsoup Share your knowledge, tech tips, and advice with change makers by writing for TechSoup or TechSoup for Libraries. Or Answer tech-related questions in forums and share how the nonprofit sector can better use technology to increase its impact. Click here to join and complete your TechSoup profile to get started.
- America Red Cross Assist the American Red Cross Social Engagement team when disaster strikes as a Digital Volunteer. Monitor online conversations of disaster-affected areas / people in need of assistance, while sharing disaster updates and resources via social media. Click here to learn more and sign up as an American Red Cross volunteer.