April 5, 2020
To Our Scouting Family,
The Orange County Council remains vigilant in keeping our Scouting family and friends protected. We want to assure you that we are taking all precautions to keep Scouting safe now and in the future.
We are excited to see the outpouring of creativity, leadership, and service amongst our volunteers, staff and members to keep Scouting moving forward. The use of digital resources have kept our members engaged, empowered, and equipped to have a quality Scouting experience. There are more and more FUN resources being added every day to the council Resource Hub and on the National BSA Scouting from Home site. We strongly encourage all families and volunteers to use these ideas and share your own ideas with others through our social media sites.
As we follow the direction set by government and heath care officials addressing the spread of COVID-19 in our communities, we remain committed to ensuring that we continue to support you and Scouts. To that effect, the Orange County Council will continue keeping our offices, properties, all in person unit, district and council meetings, activities and programs closed through April 30th. We will announce each month changes and extensions if needed.
Due to these closures, too many of our excellent activities have been cancelled or postponed. We would like to do a shout out to all our volunteers and staff who had spent hours planning and preparing for these events. Thank You to each of them for their leadership and patience. We look forward to participating in these activities soon.
Service to units and volunteers CONTINUES
- Like so many impacted, the loss of income is real, and it has created a significant cash drain on council operations. The council is doing everything in its power to reduce expenses to get through the next few months. We are working with our vendors to delay payments, and we have implemented salary and staff reductions including an entire staff furlough for the week of April 19th thru 25th. We ask volunteers and families to respect this week by not reaching out to staff with calls or emails. Due to labor laws, we will be unable to respond.
- In addition, the council team is continuing to seek donations though social media, calls to past donors, and direct mail campaigns. Districts are helping to fundraise through online virtual events, and our program teams will begin charging for online Merit Badge classes. Every dollar raised now helps to reduce further cuts to program delivery going into the summer and fall. Help keep our virtual merit badge classes affordable, make a donation here.
- The council staff remains focused on helping our units thrive during this time. While the Council Service Center is closed, we will continue to process registration, charters, Eagle Scout applications, donations and payables. Please scan and email paperwork to council staff as needed.
- Supply orders are only being handled directly through the National Distribution Center now. Click here for instructions on how to order advancement and other supplies.
- The council field, program and support staff continue to work remotely via phone and email. Please click here for the staff directory.
- Fundraising donations are still being processed. Click here to make your annual Friends of Scouting donation.
- Summer program registrations are still being processed. Day camp, summer camps, NYLT, etc. are still being planned at this time.
- New families are still being invited to join Scouting. Please help spread the word about Scouting to children from online classes, your neighborhood, social media etc., and invite them to join your unit. New members can join by going to BeaScout.org for the online application and fees will be collected through bit.ly/joinocbsa.
Do a Good Turn Daily!
As our society looks for leadership in times of challenge, we look to Scouting. Scouts have always been prepared, helped other people, strived to be good citizens, and worked to be brave.
Right now, Scouts and Scout Leaders are mobilizing to help our neighbors and serve as a force for the greater good for our community. We ask our Orange County Council family to show your appreciation to essential workers, pride in America, and help where you can safely.
We could not get through these difficult times without the everyday heroes who go to work each day to ensure that we care for the sick, we have food to eat, our mail is delivered, and so much more. We encourage all Scouts to demonstrate their appreciation for essential workers (health care, grocery workers, law enforcement, etc.) with letters, posters, social media postings, or other ways you can.
Fly your America Flag at home, give blood, collect food for those who need help, or make face masks for neighbors and essential workers. If you go outside, wear your uniform. Share your actions of appreciation and service at #OCBSAGOODTURN.
To our Scouting family we say thank you for your continued support of the Scouting program. Together we will make a difference in our communities.
Stay home. Stay safe. Save lives. Be Scout Strong.
This remains an evolving situation our Council will post new information on our website and social media as it becomes available. In addition, please connect with these resources:
- The California Department of Public Health
- Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
- Orange County Health Care Agency
- BSA Prevention: The Key to Successful Control of Infectious Diseases
- BSA Prevention Medical Screening Checklist