Passing on your love of Scouting and Legacy through year-end giving

In advance of the 100th anniversary celebration coming next year, Scout families are excited to share their personal story about the positive and life-changing impact their experiences have had on their lives and those of their children.  They are asking how they can they give back in a meaningful way for all that Scouting has done for them because they sadly have heard that former sources of income to support Scouting, such as United Way, no longer exist.

We have been able to provide some great ideas you might also be interested in since your philanthropic giving makes a significant difference in the young lives of the Scouts served locally. This year you might consider how you can also benefit from one or both of the following two ways to give:

  1. Give Appreciated Assets! Do you have stocks that you have held for more than a year that have grown in value? If you do, it may be wiser to make a donation using appreciated securities instead of   cash. In addition to receiving an income tax deduction for the current value of the stock, you can avoid  capital gain taxes. You or your broker/advisor may contact our office for transfer instructions.
  2. Gifting from an IRA  Are you or someone you know over 70 ½ years of age? If so, consider using all or a portion of the RMD to make a direct transfer from an IRA or SEPIRA to the Orange County Council, Boy Scouts of America ( OCBSA). The transfer counts toward the annual Required Minimum Distribution and avoids income tax. It’s easy to do.

Contact your IRA agent to request and complete the Distribution Form.

We hope you will consider making a special celebration gift to OCBSA before the end of the year. Your support makes a big impact on our programs and camps, and the growth and achievement of our youth. For more information contact or 714-546-8558 x145.

And, we hope that you can benefit from one of the strategies listed above.  They are not intended as legal advice. Before making a charitable contribution you always should seek the advice of your personal accountant, or tax advisor.